Sunday, June 14, 2009

First Half Marathon!


I did my first half marathon today. If I can forget that I did it at a 13:13 pace (AHHH!!!!) I can be really happy, joyful and free. I worked hard at Bonelli last week, have not been taking the greatest care of my legs (or the rest of me,
for that matter) this week, and honestly have just not been focusing on this race AT ALL. I haven't done much by way of hill running or distance running, as Bonelli was our focus (and would have been a second place AG finish, had it not been for mechanical difficulties, so it was certainly worth it!) But this race HURT.
Maybe because this was the elevation profile...
Also known as, 1716 feet of climbing. Also known as, freakin' hilly. I also felt rather ambivalent going into this race, and I only just figured out why...in my heart, I'm just a solid triathlete. While run races, swims, etc., certainly are fun (and can deeply improve my fitness, endurance, etc. without the physical hardship of a triathlon) my soul just isn't in them the way I am into triathlons. I get giddy coming out of the water. I love being soaking wet and freezing on a bike. I love being tired and still having a 5k/10k/20k left to run, and putting on my shoes and going for it. While this race certainly was fun, I just didn't have the emotional investment in it as I did even at Bonelli, which was a vastly easier race.
Speaking of, here is a pic of me coming out of the water at Bonelli - 'sexy', no?

I decidedly look like an alien.
Also, I am so inspired and proud of my coach, who raced ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ with possibly broken ribs and a head cold, and still placed 169 out of 1600+. Talk about drive!

I am leaving for Israel tomorrow, so probably won't be able to update for a few weeks.
I'm sure I'll have plenty to say after that!
Kate

1 comment:

  1. That was your first half mara? It's so dreadfully hilly!!! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete