Friday, May 15, 2009

Graduation!

Today, I became a college graduate. I received my B.A. from USC, with honors. I also received a $10,000 scholarship as a reward for my two year project, which was directing Aeschylus' Oresteia trilogy, including an original translation from the ancient Greek. It was an insane, exhausting adventure, which I am both deeply saddened and thrilled that it's over. There were so many amazing things that happened to honor this project, including school president, Stephen Sample, mentioning it in the main graduation ceremony! I know it sounds like I'm bragging, which part of me certainly is. However, I am also completely in awe and gratitude of the amazing people who got me there with this project, because they are really the testiment to the theatre.
Paul Backer, my professor, is perhaps the reason I went to USC, even though I didn't know it at the time. From day one, I felt completely drawn to him - he is basically who I want to be when I "grow up." He is cherished and adored by all his students, is a remarkably passionate professor, and I am so proud to be able to call him one of my friends. This past year, he battled severe pnumonia. While most professors would take leave for the semester, or at least get a substitue for a month, Paul (for better or worse for his health) was back within a week. He sees every student production, is a walking encyclopedia of the theatre, and is always there for me, and for his students.
I had a remarkable three casts, who all went on a crazy adventure with me. They did things that are totally "weird" with grace and dignity - they played with Greek verse, masks, dance, and all the crazy things that the Greek theatre requires. I am so thrilled to have gotten to know all the actors involved, and am so grateful for them.
I had a phenominal crew of people, including Danielle Horn and Sarah Morris, who designed the costumes, Rachel Kerry, who did all my publicity, and Becca Lynch, for managing the arrangements for the theatre for the entirety of the project. They really took so much on themselves with smiles on their faces, and were totally and completely brilliant.
Louise Abnee and Lexi Pappas were my two assistant directors, without whom, the show would not of happened. From everything for running scenes to getting food to making set pieces, the credit for the show really goes to them. They are remarkable, passionate, intelligent women, and I am so grateful to call them two of my dearest friends.
Finally, Emily Shearer, who was not only the dramaturg for the production, but translated the third and final installment. The scholarship was won by her as much as me, and with her beautiful poetry and elegant verse, she elevated the third installment to something so beyond theatre.
The reason I write this is beacuse this reminds me why I do theatre in the first place. It is not an "I" job. Without the 40 or so people mentioned above, I never would have been able to do this project. They all had such faith in me, and I had and have such faith in them and their brilliance. Theatre brings people who would normally never associate with each other together in a beautiful and remarkable way - trust is forced up them, and those who participate rarely dissapoint. I was so priviledged to meet and get to know so many truly magnificent artists, and I hope to work with most of them again in the not to distant future.

Today, I am so grateful for my beautiful niece, Livia Charles, my gorgeous sister and brother-in-law, Alysia Reiner and David Alan Basche, my aunt Marcia Cohen, my grandmother Helen Roseberg, and most of all, my parents, Terry and Bob Berenson. I also honor and remember the memory of my father, Charles Alan Reiner, who would have been so unbelievably thrilled today.
Now, to Roy's for drinks and food - tomorrow, an 8 mile run, and 10:00am - 10:00pm at the Director's Lab!

1 comment: