Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Great Big Ocean

The last time I was in the ocean  was in 2007.  I did the Hermosa Day at the Beach sprint triathlon.  I couldn't put my face in the water, so doggy-paddled the 400 or so yard swim.  I tried Ocean's 101 a few times, but was just too scared, and never went back.  
So, two years later, signed up for an Aquathon, and training for Ironman (2010, but it's still coming!) I figure it's time to brave the perilous realm of Poseidon again.  Here I come, triton in hand.
So, I show up to the Chicken of the Sea swim (yes, it's really called that) - which is still the ocean, but in the Marina, so there's very minimal surf. We all divide into groups, and I waffled between the 1.5 mile and the 2. I initially say the 1.5, as the only other person who wants to do the 2 did Ironman NZ a few months ago, so I thought would be way out of my league.
We start, and I am suprised to find I am equally comfortable in the ocean as I am in a lake. Yes, the lack of waves definitely helped my comfort zone a great deal, but there were plenty of swells, and I really held my own, except for the sighting. Initally, I was middle of the pack, but I was zig-zagging so terribly that by the end, I was pretty much the last one. We get to the pier at the end of the first mile, and I run into the Ironman girl, Nicole.  She asks if I want to do the two with her, and I felt fine, so agreed. Of course, the second we turn around, the nice, calm water turned quite rough and choppy. I didn't feel frightened though, just...well...saltier.  The swim back was much faster though, so the current must have been going that way.
The Ironwoman definitely had to wait for me a few times, but I did my best to keep up - I definitely have to work on my swim speed, as it's no fun to make people wait! 
However, it felt fantastic to do two miles, and feel totally fine.
It's time for my nap now, though!
MOMENT OF PROGRESS #2 
Um...2 miles in the ocean not enough for you? Fine, I swam 2 miles in the ocean, then made split pea soup from scratch, followed by tilapia with olives and lemon.  I am Martha McGlone Stewart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment