Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Special, Wonderful and Unique

Sometimes (often) I forget that I am really not special. I don't mean this in a bad way - I am completely special, just I am just as special as everyone else. What this does mean is that the rules do apply to me, such as:
Needed to eat to perform well. This one is such a challenge for me. I've always had a lot of food issues, and part of that was being able to disconnect my body from the need for food. So, the nutrition part of training has always been a huge challenge. However, without it - whadayaknow?! I go slower, I hurt more, I'm more tired, and cranky. I also need to accept that my body is mine, and not anybody elses, so if I get thirsty when I do 30 minute runs, it means I need to bring water with me, and not leave my water-belt in the car, just because theoretically you don't need to intake water or food on workouts less than an hour.
Sleep is actually not optional. I do work three jobs, plus 15-20 hours a week of training, plus boyfriend, plus friends, plus family - but to do all these things, I can't have only 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night. Even with 6-7, my body doesn't recover as well as it needs to. I am also nicer, friendlier, and able to work in a more positive way.
When I train better/harder/focus, etc., I do in fact get better. Since I come from a theatre background, I am used to things such as progress and growth being somewhat subjective. It also takes a huge amount of time to "hone your craft" and is truly a lifetime process. Triathlon is as well, but measureable improvement happens fairly quickly (as in, within a season) when I follow my plan, focus, recover, eat well, etc. It's always shocking - I have gone from an 11:30 mile to a 9 minute mile in less than a year, simply from following my plan and working my ass off.
My coach actually does know better than me. I think I know everything. I don't. When I listen to Robert, I don't seem to injure myself, overtrain, etc., and I do get better. Isn't that BIZARRE?! ;-)
Life Happens. No matter how much control and time management skills I think I have, sometimes I can't make my schedule perfect. I graduate tomorrow, and my family is in town for a scholarship I am recieving today. So, I probably am not going to be running today, and hopefully will find time tomorrow, but if I don't, c'est la vie. Even though this is my deep passion, I love training, and obviously don't want to miss workouts, the world really doesn't revolve around me, and sometimes, it's worth sacrificing a bit of fitness to be with my 89-year-old grandmother (who looks 60 and acts 30) who came here from Florida.

No, Life REALLY happens. Just an annecdote to rap up this blog - two days ago, I wanted to go swimming before work. I biked to the pool - I felt so superior to all the car bound folk.
'Look how easy it is to bike to work!' I thought. 'I'm so environmentally friendly, getting an extra workout in, and I really feel connected to the city of Los Angeles. Why doesn't everyone do this?' I get to the pool, get in, start to get dressed and realized I had forgotten my goggles and swim cap.
Which were sitting in the trunk of my car.

Update on two workouts:
Tuesday, did a 1 hour easy run at a 10mm pace.
Thursday, did a 1.5 hour bike on Westchester, 60% aero, at a 15mph pace. (YEAY, up from 13.6 three weeks ago for the same loop!) Bricked it with a 3.34 mile, 30 minute run, which is an 8.59 pace - WOOHOOO!!!
Today, Discovery Scholarship Ceremony, and family in from out of town. Tomorrow, graduation from USC!



No comments:

Post a Comment